Kawalis Zoukak - Training Program - Cycle 5 - Writing for Theatre
Call for Applications:
Kawalis Zoukak - The Training Program
Writing for Theatre with Maya Zbib
10 sessions from 31 May - 17 July 2023 from 4:30 PM till 8:30 PM (7 Wednesdays & 3 Mondays)
Fill the application form in your preferred language and submit it along with the supporting documents if any.
Deadline to apply: April 27, 2023 before Midnight, Beirut time.
Download the call in English or عربي
Kindly note the following points as part of the commitment to the training program:
- Training will run from May 31 until July 17 2023 from 4:30 PM till 8:30 PM;
- Selected participants are expected to fully attend the sessions of the training;
- Participants will be asked to commit to 3 sessions of the Collaborative Communication (CC) training with Mohamad Hamdan, which is a prerequisite for the entire program;
- The next run of the CC training will run during July 2023;
- Several runs happen throughout the year Due to limited seats for this training
- If you didn’t receive a spot during this run, you will have priority for the upcoming ones;
- These training courses are interconnected with Zoukak’s other programs, so participants will eventually have the chance to qualify for other opportunities moving forward. Stay tuned!
Registration fee: After several cycles of admission free of charge, and in the aim of continuity with more sustainable activities, the training programs will now require a registration fee of USD50 or the equivalent in Lebanese Lira. Anyone who is unable to pay this amount is kindly asked to explain their condition in the application form, in order to be considered for a total or a partial exemption. If you like to contribute further, you can choose this option in the application form.
Kawalis Zoukak takes you behind the curtains in a series of training courses covering various aspects of theatre-making: from acting to devising, to writing, to directing, to production, in addition to theatre as a psychosocial mediation tool. The program is designed in a way to make it possible for theatre practitioners and individuals wishing to develop their skills in theatre-making, to build a personalized learning training path throughout the diverse courses proposed over the year.
Writing for Theatre with Maya Zbib
31st of May - 17th of July 2023 (10 sessions) - 7 Wednesdays & 3 Mondays
From 4:30 pm to 8:30 pm at Zoukak Theatre
- Wednesday - May 31, 2023
- Wednesday - June 7, 2023
- Monday - June 12, 2023
- Wednesday - June 14, 2023
- Monday - June 19, 2023
- Wednesday - June 21, 2023
- Wednesday - June 28, 2023
- Wednesday - July 5, 2023
- Wednesday - July 12, 2023
- Monday - July 17, 2023
Through this workshop participants will follow a process of playwriting from conception and until the start of a first draft of a play. Writing for theatre is about writing the present, writing through the body and mind of the actors, their emotions, their actions and the images of the stage. In this workshop, writers will be guided to find out what themes and ideas are important for them, and how that connects to the reality of the world today. The workshop will provide creative and analytical tools for writers wishing to begin a new script. Through writing exercises the sessions will help the writer develop their story, and their characters, refine their writing and get to the heart of the play; all-the-while connecting with what is urgent for them to reflect on, and what story they wish to tell. The writer will be able to practice finding their own voice while learning from peers, and experimenting through some direct stage work with actors. While presenting some basic story-building principles and more traditional techniques, the workshop is also open to various forms of writing for the stage, and encourages participants to adapt all the tools made available in order to find the best way that fits the specific needs of their story and their writing style.
Through this workshop participants will:
- Acquire tools to write and develop a full-length play;
- Experience how to overcome lack of inspiration and the myth of the writer’s block;
- Develop a writing routine;
- Learn writing tools and techniques;
- Identify and start a process of developing their own voice;
- Reflect on what really matters to them and how they wish to say it;
- Connect with their own feelings/desires in order to create;
- Notice and defy self-censorship;
- Make this practice less lonely.
Note: if you have previously applied to the ًWriting course and want to have your previous application reconsidered for this cycle then kindly send an email to email@example.com. If not, you need to fill a new application form.