Kawalis Zoukak - Training Program - Cycle 5 - Directing for the Stage
Call for Applications:
Kawalis Zoukak - The Training Program
Directing for the Stage with Omar Abi Azar
09 May - 04 July 2023 (Tuesdays 16:30 - 20:30)
Fill the application form in your preferred language and submit it along with the supporting documents if any.
Deadline to apply: April 21, 2023 before Midnight, Beirut time.
Download the call in English or عربي
Kindly note the following points as part of the commitment to the training program:
- Training will run from May till the beginning of July 2023;
- Selected participants are expected to fully attend the sessions of the training;
- Participants will be asked to commit to 3 sessions of the Collaborative Communication (CC) training with Mohamad Hamdan, which is a prerequisite for the entire program;
- The next run of the CC training will run during July 2023;
- Several runs happen throughout the year Due to limited seats for this training
- If you didn’t receive a spot during this run, you will have priority for the upcoming ones;
- These training courses are interconnected with Zoukak’s other programs, so participants will eventually have the chance to qualify for other opportunities moving forward. Stay tuned!
Registration fee: After several cycles of admission free of charge, and in the aim of continuity with more sustainable activities, the training programs will now require a registration fee of USD50 or the equivalent in Lebanese Lira. Anyone who is unable to pay this amount is kindly asked to explain their condition in the application form, in order to be considered for a total or a partial exemption. If you like to contribute further, you can choose this option in the application form.
Kawalis Zoukak takes you behind the curtains in a series of training courses covering various aspects of theatre-making: from acting to devising, to writing, to directing, to production, in addition to theatre as a psychosocial mediation tool. The program is designed in a way to make it possible for theatre practitioners and individuals wishing to develop their skills in theatre-making, to build a personalized learning training path throughout the diverse courses proposed over the year.
Directing for the Stage
With Omar Abi Azar
9th of May - 4th of July 2023 (9 sessions) -
9 Tuesdays from 4:30 pm to 8:30 pm at Zoukak Theatre
- Tuesday - May 9, 2023
- Tuesday - May 16, 2023
- Tuesday - May 23, 2023
- Tuesday - May 30, 2023
- Tuesday - June 6, 2023
- Tuesday - June 13, 2023
- Tuesday - June 20, 2023
- Tuesday - June 27, 2023
- Tuesday - July 4, 2023
Through a variation of texts from Greek antiquity to contemporary and postmodern works, this training aims to be a platform for aspiring and emerging theatre directors to experiment, develop and reflect on their practice and their role in a creation process, while acquiring skills related to the role of the actor, and the roles of scenography and light design in directing.
During this training, participants get the chance to develop their own projects, in addition to other practicing exercises based on the texts they will choose to work on.
The training tackles theatre directing on both theoretical and practical levels.
- Gain skills to stage a production based on an existing text or an adaptation, or on an idea;
- Acquire the means to direct actors, light designers, and scenographers.
A minimum knowledge in directing plays is required from participants, and a willingness to challenge their own practices with an open mind. Participants should commit to attend all the sessions without any exception.
Note: if you have previously applied to the Directing course and want to have your previous application reconsidered for this cycle then kindly send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If not, you need to fill a new application form.