IMAGINATION AS ACTION
IMAGINATION AS ACTION
Drama Therapy sessions with Zoukak Theatre Company
Facilitated by Lamia Abi Azar and Maya Zbib
5 sessions (between 3 June - 1 July 2021)
Every Thursday 4pm – 7pm at Ashkal Alwan, Beirut.
Free of charge - comfortable clothes required
- Any person between the age of 20 and 50 years old that is able to commit to the whole workshop;
- Applicants who have applied to earlier editions of the workshop and did not get selected are encouraged to apply again.
- Zoukak staff members or any person that had/has a professional relationship with Zoukak;
- Family members and friends of Zoukak's artistic board;
- People who have already participated in a previous version of "Imagination as action".
Please note that this is not a theatre workshop nor a training in drama therapy, but rather an opportunity for self-exploration, and an experimentation of theatre tools within a therapeutic frame.
About the workshop
“Who am I when no one is watching? What does my unguarded heart yearn for? Who am I when everything is stripped away? How does my body want to move when I’m alone? What would I do if nothing was required of me?” (Michaela Boehm)
Amidst the difficult conditions of life we are experiencing on a daily basis as citizens, due the pandemic, the complete political failure and corruption of our leaders that led to the huge economic crisis and inflation, and the tragic explosion which caused the massive destruction of a whole part of our city, not to mention losses of lives and serious injuries; we feel the need to create a space of gathering, mutual support and elaboration of feelings and emotions.
This workshop, spread over five sessions of three hours each, invites participants to an embodied exploration, to re-sensitize themselves and connect with personal thoughts and desires, through organic movement, breathing, relaxation, with the aim of releasing excessive tension and stress.
The workshop posits:
- IMAGINATION as the main space of elaboration of affective well-being;
- The BODY as the stage of confrontation with and resolution of affects;
- DESIRE as the motor drive for any change;
- FEAR as a paralyzing camouflage of desires;
- The PRESENT as the space-time of confrontation between the ruins of the past and the fears/desires of the future;
- IMPROVISATION as a spontaneous action of creating the present;
- IMAGINARY ACTION as an act in the present that affects reality.
“The body is not just a vehicle that needs to be maintained or disciplined so that we can function. Rather it is a potent source of power, intuition, feeling and abundant pleasure.” (Michaela Boehm)
Supported by: Fondation de France